Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What should I make for breakfast?


I have children in my home that have food allergies. I have had kids allergic to dairy, soy, eggs and peanuts. Right now I am working with dairy, soy and peanut allergies, but I still use eggs sparingly--just to be safe. I will try to post a number of recipes on here that are helpful when cooking for those who have food allergies.


The other day the kids were wanting breakfast that consisted of more than just cold cereal and fruit. I needed something that the kids could all eat (without any allergens) but didn't have much to work with. It had been a few days since I went to the store, so I didn't have much fresh in my fridge. I improvised. I had some left over cooked potatoes and some eggs, so I made an alternate version of one of my favorite breakfast dishes.


Italian Eggs and Potatoes

3 precooked potatoes, cubed

2 T olive oil

2 cups marinara sauce

3 eggs

Seasoning Salt

Pepper


In a large non-stick frying pan, brown the potatoes in the oil over medium heat, season to taste with seasoning salt and pepper. When potatoes have taken on a golden brown color, stir in the marinara sauce. Bring it all to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and make a space in the pan by pushing the potatoes aside with a spatula. Break an egg into the space. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cover the pan and cook until the eggs are cooked and the whites are solid. To serve, remove some potatoes to a plate and place an egg on top of the potatoes.


No comments: