Monday, May 19, 2008

Bathing Beauties


When I was a young girl and I would go visit my "Old Grandma" (as she was called), she always had a bowl of cucumbers and onions in her fridge. All of my family members remember them with fond memories. They were cool, refreshing and delicious. I don't know where she got the recipe or if it was something she herself grew up with. Her family originated from England and Germany and her husband's family originated from Portugal, so maybe one in her family passed it on to her. I will never know. I suspect that somewhere there is a history of this dish and a proper name for it, but I just call them "Bathing Beauties."


Like myself, my children absolutely love them. I can't even make them without children standing behind me stealing them from the bowl. If I let my kids, they will eat an entire bowl at one sitting, which all in all wouldn't be bad, considering they are just cucumbers and onions--but I fear they may end up with a stomach ache. Unfortunately, none of us ever got her recipe before she passed away and so I have had to just guess at her choices.



Bathing Beauties

3 large cucumbers

1 large white onion

aprox. 5-6 cups of cold water

1/2 c. white vinegar

1/4 c. cider vinegar


Peel and slice the cucumbers and onions thinly. Toss them together in a glass or plastic bowl. Pour the vinegar over all. Fill the bowl to cover the vegetables with cold water. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator over night. Serve cold or at room temperature with meals or as a snack.

No comments: